Are you thinking about giving one or more rooms a new colour makeover? Unsure which colour will go best with your new floor? The right choice of colour is a reflection of your personality in your interior, and creates a unique atmosphere and experience. And you would of course want to make sure the colour blends well with your furnishings.
So how do you get started?
First of all you have to like the colour, but there is a lot more to choosing a colour than just that. Every colour has a meaning, emotionally as well as purely visually. Some colours are best avoided in certain rooms, and some colours are best used as accents only. Existing colours often have a wide range of variations, which makes choosing the right one even more difficult.
Start with the basics!
Before pulling out the colour chart, you should start with the basics. Which type of room are you decorating, and which mood do you want to evoke? A light colour will make the space feel bigger, while darker colours will make the room seem a little smaller.
Floors in light colours make the room lighter with a more spacious feel, and are particularly suitable for dark furniture. Dark floors offer more contrast and intimacy, and combine well with light walls or darker accent colours.
At the same time, you should also consider the ceiling, which is often given a white basic colour but has the potential for many more possibilities. A light shade to match the walls creates more height, and a darker ceiling makes the room look a little lower and often somewhat more intimate.
Here’s a basic reference guide:
- Light Floor & Light Walls will make your room appear extra wide. But don’t overdo it to avoid a sterile look
- Light Floor & Dark Walls will bring out the horizontal lines.
- Light Floor, Light Ceiling & a Light Rear Wall will make your room look narrower, deeper, and higher.
- Light Floor, Light Ceiling & a Dark Rear Wall will make your room look smaller.
- Light Floor, Dark Ceiling & Dark Walls in the same colour create a shapeless effect
- Dark Floor, Light Ceiling & Light Walls will make your room look wider.
- Dark Floor, Dark Ceiling & Light Walls will make your room feel wider and lower.
- Dark Floor, Light Ceiling & Dark Walls give an interesting shadow effect, since all the light seems to come from above.
Visit us at our showroom and let our flooring consultants guide you in choosing the most suitable floor colours and designs for your rooms!